Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Just Rearranging the Deck Chairs

I had my last regularly scheduled Church Council meeting at Church I Now Serve last night last night (I will be at a mandatory District overnight meeting when the next one is scheduled).

She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named showed up - as is her right as a non-voting church member - and was on her best behavior until the end of the meeting when she just had to get some catty potshots in. Whatev.

The Christian Organization across the street who had been renting some church rooms for one of their programs has decided to pull out of the church. Their rent money has been a saving grace for CINS' bank account. I overheard one person say to another, "Well that's an answer to prayer!" Sigh. They still don't get it.

They flipped out when I asked for some Sundays off. I'm entitled to four vacation Sundays (8 services because CINS has both a morning and an evening service), plus I have two Sundays for continuing ed. Add to that Annual Conference which stretches over Father's Day (GASP!) and they were complaining I was going to be gone more than I would be there. One of the Sundays I've asked off is a Sunday they've already have a guest missions speaker coming in. And they weren't too happy when I reminded them I have a parsonage to pack up. Oh well! Life is hard!

And the church is sinking. And while it's going down, you're just rearranging the deck chairs.

No comments: