Monday, July 21, 2008

Monday Musings

This weekend was Celebrate Small Town Days. On Friday and Saturday, Small Town was One.Big.Yard.Sale. It made giggle to think that everyone was just swapping "stuff" - one family to another. And our Amish neighbors were out in force!

Yesterday's festivities included a car show, Chili Cook-off and the Volunteer Fire Department's Chicken BBQ. Everything came to an abrupt end when a serious thunderstorm swept through about 1:30 pm.

It was a social event! I couldn't believe how many folks were out and about. Even worship was full!

I've had so many folks say that they're glad I'm here. One of my pastoral colleagues told me last week, "Your folks are quite smitten with you!" I'm quite smitten with them. I LOVE Small Town life!

Two of Hubby churches held a joint Welcome Picnic for him yesterday. They are as neat as Sassy Nance and MA said they would be! Hubby and I had a blast and the folks made us feel right at home.

Hubby is a basketball referee and one of his new parishioners is a fellow co-officiant. She gets a lot of grief from the majority of the male refs (MCPs). Hubby has always been sensitive to her feelings and he's always treated her professionally and compassionately. What a surprise it was to find her and her family as very active church family folks!!!! Her husband is an EMT for another Volunteer Fire Department and he and I had a good time sharing war stories.

My Hubby is amazing! He always treats folks with dignity and respect, because as he says, "It's doesn't cost you any more to be nice." And in the small world we seem to live in, it pays off!

I'm loving Small Town life!

2 comments:

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Smitten with you! Yay!

Theresa Coleman said...

Yay is right!

Blessings to you and yours -- your joy is getting infectious!